Crowd favourite Sparks will kick-off a new line-up of summer events in Christchurch.
Christchurch City Council has firmed up plans for its summer events programme following the release of information about the Covid-19 Protection Framework by the Government last week.
Events and Arts Manager Lucy Blackmore says the Council can run outdoor community events under the Orange traffic light system, but sites will be contained and proof of vaccine will be required for people aged 12 and three months and older to attend.
“We’ve taken these requirements into account and are thrilled to let people know the fantastic line-up of events we have planned,’’ she says.
The first big event is musical extravaganza Sparks, on Saturday 22 January 2022, in North Hagley Park, with the Christchurch Symphony Orchestra finalising the songs it will play before a dazzling 10-minute fireworks display to end the night’s entertainment.
Next on the calendar is the Summer Sundays series, formerly Lazy Sundays, which will feature free live music on the Archery Lawn in the Botanic gardens from 30 January until 6 March 2022.
Following the cancellation last month of New Year’s Eve celebrations and Kite Day, two new events in Victoria Square have been added to the calendar, specifically for families and young people.
Summer Nights, a concert at dusk featuring popular local artists in a carnival setting, will run from 6pm-10pm on Saturday 12 March. The following day, Sunday 13 March, Family Festival will see a free day of fun and activity for the whole family held in Victoria Square.
The Council also runs, in partnership with other groups and organisations, a number of other community events over summer.
Popular annual Te Rā O Ngā Tamariki Children’s Day will again be held online in 2022 following the success of this year’s event that was held virtually, while Culture Galore will go ahead in line with the Covid-19 Protection Framework protocols on Saturday 19 February 2022, from noon to 4pm, at Ray Blank Park.
Unfortunately, the annual Anthony Harper Summer Theatre usually held in the Botanic Gardens in January has also been cancelled for this year due to the uncertainty caused by Covid-19, following discussion between the Council, sponsor Anthony Harper and the production company that was involved in staging the show.
“While this is disappointing, we are all committed to bringing back Summer Theatre in early 2023. We are also exploring other options for pop-up theatre performances to be held in the central city this summer, similar to the Christmas pop-up performances that are planned in City Mall from 17-23 December.
“We hope our residents enjoy the events that are planned to go ahead this summer. We thank them as well for their patience as we all come to grips with new ways of doing things to keep us all safe in challenging times.''