Planning on heading to New Brighton on Saturday for Christchurch’s first ever Matariki Fireworks Spectacular?
Here’s a few things you need to know:
- The festivities start at 5pm with food, music and other activities in New Brighton Mall.
- Between 6.30 and 7pm there will be kapa haka performances and live entertainment from fire and aerial performers.
- The fireworks will be set off from the end of New Brighton pier, beginning at 7pm.
- A soundtrack of Kiwi music from artists such as Dave Dobbyn, Stan Walker and the Patea Māori Club will accompany the fireworks. You can listen to the music by tuning into The Hits on frequency 97.7.
- Please don’t bring alcohol, your own fireworks, drones or pets to the event.
- Metro is putting on extra public buses to get people in and out of New Brighton as quickly as possible. For more information visit metroinfo.co.nz/news/matariki-fireworks-catch-a-bus
- For express services or park and ride services, catch the bus to New Brighton from Eastgate Shopping Centre, the University of Canterbury (UC) campus, Merivale or the Palms from 5pm.
- While normal bus fares apply getting to the event, anyone wanting to catch the bus home afterwards can do so for free. Just hop on board a bus from Oram Avenue in New Brighton between 7.30 to 8pm and you’ll receive a free single trip on Routes 5 and 60. This also applies to the event services going to The Palms, Merivale and UC.
- We’ve arranged with the Eastgate Mall team to allow anyone who attends the event to park in the Mall carpark from 5pm. We’ll also have our team on site at Eastgate to help direct people across Buckleys Road and hop on the Route 5 bus to New Brighton.
- If you are planning to take your car to New Brighton, think about carpooling. Be aware too that many of the roads around New Brighton Mall will be closed to vehicles between 4pm and 9.30pm. Plan your journey in advance and remember there may be some delays.
- Mobility parking is available to people with an official mobility sticker at the New Brighton Beach South Ramp Carpark. The best way to get there will be via Bridge Street.
- No on-street parking will be permitted on the following streets between 4pm and 9.30pm: Hawke Street (from Keppel Street to Marine Parade), Marine Parade (from Hood Street to Lonsdale Street), Hood Street (from Union Street to Marine Parade).
- If you are planning on biking to the fireworks, bike racks will be available in the North and South carparks.
- If bad weather forces the postponement of the fireworks, it will be announced via The Hits and our Facebook page. The call to cancel may not be made until just before the fireworks start at 7pm.
- The postponement date is Sunday 11 July.